Monday, January 4, 2010

Potato and Turnip Gratin--by Linds

Before baking--I used a little too much cream

YUM! I loved this recipe, but what I loved even more than the taste, was how easy it was! I could hardly believe it was coming out of a Martha book. I will totally do this one again. I left out the turnips, and used just potatoes. I also didn't do the "infusing the liquid" with fresh herbs either. I just used dried chives cuz that's all I had. This meal was such a good excuse to break our stupid pre-cruise diet! Hooray for bad carbs and heavy cream haha. Heated up some ham to go with it and it was yummmmmy!

RECIPE: (serves 6)
1 to 2 tablespoons unsalted butter (optional), plus more for baking dish)
1 1/2 cups heavy cream (plus more if needed)
3 sprigs robust herbs such as thyme or sage
2 pounds total potatoes (preferrably russets) and turnips, peele dand thinly sliced
Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper

Infuse liquid: Heat oven to 375 adn butter a 2 1/2 quart oval gratin dish or 9 x 13 in. baking dish. Bring cream and thyme to just under a boil in a small saucepan, then remove from heat and let stand 30 minutes. Strain through a fine sieve and discard solids.

Assemble: Arrange the vegetable slices in an overlapping fashion in the baking dish, alternating them and seasoning with salt and pepper as you go. Dot with butter, if using. pour cream over top (it should almost cover the vegetables; add up to 1/2 cup more if necessary) and cover tightly with parchment-lined foil.
Bake: Bake until vegetables are tender, about 45 minutes, then remove foil and bake until golden brown and bubbling, about 15 minutes more. Serve at once.


Sorry this is such a bad picture. Kenny wasn't home so I tried to use the timer and...anyway. The meal was great. Notice I'm wearing my Ya-ya sisterhood apron? THANKS MOM! I love it. I will be posting a lot in the next couple weeks trying to play catch-up.

No comments:

Post a Comment