Sunday, September 13, 2009

Steamed Artichoke, Singular, by Steph

Although I frequently use canned artichoke hearts (in pasta sauce, etc.), I had never purchased a whole artichoke. Seeing as how I am a single mom now, and knowing my kids wouldn't eat an artichoke, I only bought one. So I only wasted $2.

I followed the directions as closely as I could but was unsure of how to cute the bottom stems off. My artichoke didn't end up looking like a flower; it just looked like an artichoke with half of the leaves cut off.

My kids were a great help, as you can see. I had fed them lunch (Ramen noodles, which smelled much better than my steaming artichoke) so they were free to climb on the counters and walk under my feet.












The finished product. My poached egg was overcooked, my hollandaise sauce was too runny, and I had no idea how to go about eating an artichoke. I alter found out from my husband that you pick the leaves off and scrape the "meat" off with your teeth. After biting down unsuccessfully on the top of the leaf, I decided it was better off as a serving dish than as part of the meal. I ate the egg and pretty much threw the rest of it in the trash. Sad, I know - but it's all in the name of experience.











I guess I should have eaten some Ramen after all.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment