Sunday, September 6, 2009

Chicken Soup by Steph

Our first recipe. I had been waiting for this day with excitement and anticipation. I had gathered my ingredients and felt mentally prepared for a chicken soup day. It turned out to be a perfect day for chicken soup, too. Eva was sick, so we stayed home from church. It was rainy and cold and gray - just like a chicken soup day should be. And they say chicken soup has healing powers - no better day to try that theory than a sick day.

The first task, obviously, was to tackle the chicken with a knife and slice its bones apart. I was nervous - rightfully so. In the middle of it, when I was cracking the back bone with my bare hands and dark red blood was spurting out of the chest cavity, I fought the urge to throw up in my mouth and kept telling myself how good the soup would taste. I also had to laugh at how irreverent the chicken looked with her legs spread apart. She couldn't help it - I had ripped her thigh bones out of socket - but it was still giggle-worthy. I opted out of taking a picture though, because I didn't want to get salmonella on my camera. In the end, I didn't do such a hot job of taking the chicken apart. Now I know where the phrase "I butchered it" comes from, because that's exactly what I did. But at least I got it into eight pieces, just like Martha ordered.
After the chicken was cooked and the broth was done simmering, I took a break. I resumed the soup tonight for dinner, leaving the parts of the soup in the fridge. By the time I took the broth out, there was a nice layer of solid fat on the top. I skimmed it off and thanked the heavens that wasn't sitting in my thighs. After measuring out the broth, I realized I only had 4 cups instead of the required 6. Too late to add water - I would just have a chunkier soup. I added the vegetables, simmered for 8 minutes, and then put in the chicken. Ahh...my work was finished. Time to eat.
Unfortunately, I was sorely disappointed. My vegetables weren't soft enough, so there was a disconcerting crunch in each bite. Eventually I gave up and tried to just eat the broth with the chicken. After I was finished eating, there was a pile of too-crunchy vegetables in the bottom of my bowl.
The amount of work this recipe called for was entirely disproportionate to the end result. I definitely will not be making this again. All in the name of experience, I guess.
I learned a few things today:

Parsnips aren't so scary after all. They are just like white carrots. I feel so culinarily well-rounded after having used one.

When it comes to soup, I am just more of a chowder girl. If there isn't cheese melting on the top or a thick chunkiness in the bowl, it's just not true soup.

Homemade stock is not worth the effort. Nor is butchering my own chicken. I am totally fine with my jar of organic chicken base from Costco and pre-cut chicken. Now that I've tried both ways, I can say that with confidence. Convenience is next to godliness.

Martha says, "It has been said that the measure of a good cook is how well he or she makes soup." If today's dinner was any indication of how good of a cook I am, let it be stricken from the record.

But it was fun anyway. Steamed Artichokes with Smoked Salmon, Poached Eggs, and Hollandaise Sauce, here I come. Possibly minus the smoked salmon.

P.S. Eva wouldn't touch the soup. The healing powers which might have been had no opportunity to take effect. I wonder if the microwave would zap the healing powers upon reheating it...maybe I'll try it tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. Steph- I hate cooking, except for soups! They are the one thing that just always turns out for me. I have to totally agree that convenience is great. To fix the veggie problem just pull them out (so as not to totally mush up the noodles), add some boxed chicken broth, and simmer until they are soft. Then pour it all back in and reheat the whole mess. I don't know how your flavor was, but I generally need a bit of chicken bullion and some pepper to help liven it up a bit. I hope you can enjoy the left overs. My kids LOVE homemade chicken soup when they are sick!!!!

    ReplyDelete